Friday, July 01, 2011

Decisions

The last time I posted, there were changes coming and decisions to be made. Well, change came - and Bear and I did make some decisions. They haven't been announced to everyone yet, but the blog is a pretty safe place to start since like three people read it.

I have accepted a teaching position in a coastal high school. It is just about two hours away from home, so I will be looking for a place to rent down there. I will stay down there during the week, and come home on weekends and vacations. Some weekends, Bear and Jackson will be coming down to see me so we can all explore the coast and Bear can get out of town.

This situation isn't ideal. Since we became a couple, Bear and I haven't spent a night apart. We celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary yesterday, and have been together almost six years. That's a long time, and that change will be the hardest to handle. It's already affecting us, and I haven't even left yet. I know that Bear, especially, will feel this separation, as he won't have things to keep him busy at night (I have the yarn business to occupy the hours between school and sleep). We will have Skype and cell phones, of course, but that's really not the same. I know Bear will worry about me - it's what he does - and I've never been one to handle being on my own very well.

However, there are some really good things coming from this change. The district I'm joining is ridiculously excited to have me. They offered me the position about five hours after my interview, which is a record for me. I joined the staff yesterday for a professional development day so I could meet with the staff coaches and English chair, and everyone was *SO* nice. I think I can be happy there, professionally. They are a staff that is willing to work and change and collaborate; these are traits that I have not had in co-workers before. There are also opportunities to make extra money. I was in the building about five minutes before they offered me a summer school position that pays $27.50 an HOUR and I'd get paid for five hours a day and work only four. Even if I drive two hours both ways I'm still making good money. I haven't made up my mind, but I am thinking about it.

The best thing about this job is the knowledge that I'll be making a step towards our dreams. We've wanted to be on the coast for a long time. There has never been any forward progress on that dream. By making the tough choice we are actually going to move in the direction of our dreams. And that, is a very cool thing.



4 comments:

Alice said...

Wow. So proud of you. And so happy. Love the picture. It made me tear up. This time will pass, you'll be living your dreams before you know it and saying: remember when.....

Fox In Detox said...

My heart breaks for you with regard to being apart from your home and husband, but I'm happy that you finally have the opportunity to be happy and fulfilled professionally. It's too bad that you all can't move to the coast.

Birds of A Feather said...

I'm so glad you have a job you can finally enjoy, hon. I know you will make the most of this opportunity and you will shine. When I have days off I'll have to invite Bear out to breakfast so he won't be lonely. Don't you worry. Heather and I will keep his spirits up! I big puffy heart you!! And good luck!!

KarenB said...

I'm so happy for you, for your future & realizing your dreams and getting a position with staff that evidently cares for their fellow teachers. How wonderful! Too bad you and bear have to be apart for a bit but it won't be forever. (hugs)